Welcome From Gene

Hello and Welcome to UED 75100:

I am very excited that you will be joining me in UED 75100, Doing Visual and Arts-based research, during the spring semester. This is only the third time the course is being taught (it is the second time that I am teaching it); I’m hoping the course will have the excitement of a new adventure in using imagery as central to the research process. It looks as if we will be a small class, so we will be able to get to know each other and our reasons for being interested in imagery (and imag-ination) as we look at arts-based projects together and work on our own projects. Many visiting artists and visual scholars will visit us throughout the semester to discuss their work and talk with you about your own research projects.

Though I have sent you this message through Blackboard, we will not be using Blackboard for our course. Instead, we will use a domain I created on the CUNY Academic Commons website called “Arts-based research and visual methodologies, Spring 2019.” Within the next few days (or maybe hours), I will send you an invitation to join that site. You will be able to maintain a class journal (via posts) on that site that can include both text and images. The projected syllabus and readings will also be available on that site, and you might want to look at it before our first class.