Lamar Ok’s Post- Rough week.

It is really hard for me to post because it’s been a rough week. There were even cops and ambulances involved.

This week I have led several conflict circles, harm circles and healing circles with our young third graders.Students shared their pain and what makes their heart hurt.

They shared stories of daily domestic violence that they witness between parents, stories of missing their fathers, stories of being told they are stupid, stories of not always being able to eat “good” food, stories of cops being called constantly because of violence in the home, stories of feeling unwanted and unloved. I am emotionally drained, feeling a bit hopeless from these circles with students.

I collected more drawings and words of what hope means from other third graders in my school that i indirectly teach, yet see every day full of smiles, hugs and love. Reading their hopes today, is slowing uplifting my spirit. If you’re having a rough week, read some of their hopes, maybe it will uplift you.

I’m still thinking about my final project and trying to piece together something that can visually be shown for our potential exhibition next spring.

Click on the link below:

upenn hope drawings

1 thought on “Lamar Ok’s Post- Rough week.

1. Dahlia Hamza Constantine

Sending you lots of love and grace this week, my friend. Sigh…it is always hard to balance the agency kids have with the extra vulnerability they face as members of a marginalized group who are not always seen as fully human according to our laws.

Thank you for these drawings. It is fascinating to watch the layering of the personal, communal and global throughout their hopes and dreams.

Reply